Don’t shoot the messenger but did you know it’s October tomorrow?
I don’t know if it’s the crazy weather or just the hectic pace of life but I feel like I lost September, which is a little sad as it’s one of my favourite months.
So I guess that makes October the new September, and hopefully Mother Nature gets the message and sends some more of those lovely sunny spring days our way!
- So October, “octo” of course meaning eighth, is the 10th month in the calendar but sat at No. 8 in the old Roman calendar, hence its name.
- In non-leap years, October starts on the same day as January, that makes it a perfect time for a new beginning, don’t you think?
- October 2 is International Day of Non-Violence, commemorated on the birthday of Mohandas Gandhi
- There is also World Animal Day on October 4 and in Britain, October celebrations also include Apple Day, as in the fruit. And United Nations Day, marking the anniversary of the Charter of the UN on October 24.
- For all the philatelists, it’s National Stamp Collecting month.
- And a cause dear to my own heart, October also marks Breast Cancer Awareness month. Do the check, ladies!
- October’s birthstones are the pink tourmaline and the opal and its birth flower the calendula.
And a musical interlude. Eric Whitacre composed this modern concert band piece October.